Engineered Systems to Reduce Creaking in High-Rise Buildings
As we continue to build higher than ever before, builders and developers continue to spend millions of dollars attempting to rid defective buildings of creaking, popping and groaning sounds, that frustrate and annoy apartment residents. Yet without research or a proven solution, the defects continue to occur and the costs continue to mount. Studco Vortex now offers a genuine solution for creaking buildings with validated results to the global high-rise construction market.
What does a creaking building sound like?
Skyscrapers often creak and groan in the wind. Loudly! If you’ve ever experienced the eerie sound of a building creaking, then you know how disturbing it can be.
If you haven’t heard a building creak, click the link below to listen to some of the recordings of creaking buildings around the world.
Why do Tall Buildings Creak?
Creaking noises have been recorded at more than 70dB and sometimes the noise pattern goes on for hours. It happens in old buildings and in brand new buildings, but with minimal data or research material available on why it occurs, many residents are left frustrated and builders facing costly repairs. Studco has conducted world-first research in conjunction with key stakeholders in the construction industry, to investigate creaking high-rise buildings and develop a genuine solution to the problem.
Vortex Research Presentation
Studco is committed to changing construction through innovation. Developers, architects, engineers, builders and contractors can obtain important knowledge and background about the new Vortex framing system through our informative presentation of Studco’s research journey over the last six years. This presentation includes data from several different buildings in different countries. The 1-hour session can be delivered in person or via Zoom by Studco’s experienced building solutions technicians.
Is standard deflection head track fit for purpose?
Traditional Track vs. Vortex Standard Deflection Track
Vortex is the fully featured solution.
Allows positive fixing to substrate on uneven surfaces
Strain-relief kerfs provide a secondary measure to limit deformation
Stud Isolation Clip
Stud isolation clip isolates metal-on metal contact at the stud to track connection
The Studco Vortex top track profile has a full length rebated pan that increases stiffness
Recent Projects Using Vortex
The Vortex Difference is Clear
- Vortex eliminates tension in the head track flanges, caused by uneven concrete substrates.
- Steel-on-steel contact virtually impossible between wall studs and head track.
- Vortex saves on track fixings in most cases.
- Quality assurance is made easy with simple visual checking of the Vortex isolation clips.
- Vortex is designed for foolproof installation.
- Installation method for Vortex is the same as the standard wall system… easy, fast and no special skills required.
- Economical solution as Vortex system uses standard wall studs and bottom track.
- Large range of Vortex isolation clips removes any need to screw fix studs to head track, including jamb studs.
- Vortex is trusted by leading architects & builders.
Vortex Product Range
What's the next step?
"*" indicates required fields